Every Friday, find out the most important social media news from the past week…
Facebook introduces ‘Story bumping’ to increase engagement
Facebook has introduced a new update to its News Feed ranking algorithm called ‘Story Bumping’. Research found people read 57 per cent of the stories in their News Feeds on average, since they did not scroll far enough to see the other 43 per cent. The developments now mean ‘lost’ stories will reappear near the top if they are generating lots of likes and comments. Clever thinking from the guys at FB HQ as it has already seen an 8 per cent increase in engagement with pages.
Expect more ‘in-depth’ search results from Google
Google is the authority when it comes to search but it seems there is still room for improvement for the tech giant, illustrated by its recent changes to bolster user experience further. Google have developed a new search feature, currently available in English only to yield longer, more in-depth search results. In-depth articles will appear in their own clearly labelled block of results although Mashable have already indicated flaws in its search algorithm with the block nowhere to be seen!
Instagram lets users import video from phone gallery
Instagram’s video feature has so far been a hit with users of the app and now with version 4.1 launching on Wednesday they will be able to import video straight from their phone gallery and share with friends. The restrictions of only being able to upload video recorded within the app is now over! Users will now have more freedom to edit and share the moments they love.
Twitter users do not feel protected against abuse…
It was revealed this week that almost two thirds of Twitter users do not feel protected by the platform, while 70 per cent said that they would not know how to make a complaint if they did receive an abusive message. This research was particularly relevant this week with the press activity around the Twitter Silence and advertising pull from Ask.fm following the death of yet another teenager due to trolling. The research, which was conducted by YouGov for The Drum, showed that over half of the audience said that they felt it was the responsibility of the web hosting company to remove offensive messages or comments from the internet, while exactly a quarter said that free speech should be protected and online messages not removed.
…and so Twitter rewrites rules and promises new commitment to safety
This week Twitter has rewritten rules, making it easier for users to report threatening tweets in the wake of the vicious abuse suffered by many at the hands of Twitter trolls. The in-tweet report button already available on Twitter’s iPhone app will be made available on Android and Twitter.com from next month and the social network has pledged to work with the UK Safer Internet Centre to promote its resources and explore new ways to keep users safe – it’s about time too.